An Indian Ocean Partnership
The 2nd edition of the Indian Ocean Music Market (IOMMA) was held in St. Pierre, Reunion during 28th-31st May 2012, attended by over 150 delegates, and artist showcases from the Indian Ocean countries.
Earlier this year EarthSync India entered into a partnership agreement with IOMMA, La Reunion, along with 6 other countries to develop music markets and professional opportunities for and in the Indian Ocean Region. The 7 partners are:
1. Reunion – IOMMA
2. Seychelles – FESTIVAL KREOL
3. Comoros – STUDIO 1
4. Mauritius -KMM
5. South Africa – Moshito
6. Australia – AWME
7. India – EarthSync
The main territories of IOMMA’s music network are Madagascar, Reunion Island, Mauritius Island, Comoros, Mayotte, India, Australia, South Africa and countries of Africa’s east coast, with the core objectives being to:
– Enable Indian Ocean artists to get exposure, and to export themselves to new markets
– Enable Indian Ocean entrepreneurs and companies to find new markets within the region and internationally
– Develop a new network between artists and professionals of the music industry within the region and then to create bridges to similar international networks.
– Empower artists and industry professionals to meet new regional and international challenges through seminars, mentoring and skills exchanges with worldwide professionals
Scheduled immediately before the 3-day Sakifo Music Festival, the two back-to-back events provide music industry professionals a treasure trove of diverse traditional, folk, emerging and contemporary music from the region.
EarthSync’s mission in IOMMA 2012 was working with other country partners to build regional networks and develop new markets, initiate knowledge sharing, identify opportunities for touring artists, encourage business partnerships, as well as extend its initiative IndiEarth for independent artists to the wider the Indian Ocean region.
Apart from IOMMA’s India partner EarthSync represented by Sonya Mazumdar, other Indian delegates to IOMMA 2012 were Divya Bhatia (Jodhpur Riff), Shiran Mather (UFX Channel), Paul Jacob (Musician/ Representative for Folk Artists) and Eddie Prithviraj (Global Music Festival).
Leave a Reply